Spirit Animals & Animal Guides
A spirit animal can be a representation of the traits and skills that you have, need to call upon or will get. Animal spirits are our allies that we can call upon when we are going through times of stress or life's challenges. They help empower us and give us strength in both the physical and spiritual worlds. Spirit animals can come to you in many forms; meditations, dreams, vision quests and even in physical form when you are out in nature. They can be anything from real, extinct or mythical. You can call on your Spirit guides for many things, including; your life purpose, relationships and your career. They can help you heal emotionally and you can call on them to protect and guide you when you go on your spiritual journeys.
Through your Spirit animal you will gain respect and knowledge for the animal kingdom. You will also see a major trust between you and animals as you develop your relationship with your Spirit animal. Once your Animal spirit shows up you both enter in a soul agreement. It is like you both choose each other. This is not random or accidental, you choose each other because you share in similar characteristics. In more than one way, you are a lot like your spirit animal. If these traits have been repressed, you will start to see them more and more in your personality as you develop a relationship with your Spirit animal.
Your relationship with your spirit animal goes both ways. As you grow so does your Spirit animal. You must honor and future this relationship. As you get to call upon them and get experience life through their eyes, they also get to do the same with you. It is a good idea to speak with your Animal spirit often and not just when you need them.
Animal guides are similar to animal spirits for they come into our lives when we need them. They come forth to help us along our path in life and help us in our lessons we must learn. They come to us in synchronicity to bring us into greater awareness. Think of them as messengers, we'll say from the universe or from whatever your spiritual path might be.
Animal guides teach us to be aware of our surroundings and to be observant of our present. Be in the moment. We as humans are used to getting what we want and wanting it instantly. Animal guides are not here to give us what we want but to teach us patience. They are here to guide us to what our destiny's and what our heart's truly desire. When we dive into our ego, our animal guides can trick us to go down a path which we think is leading us to what we want but they lead us to where we are supposed to be instead. We must not be angry that they tricked us but grateful they show us the courage we have gained up to that point.
Ways to call your Spirit Animals & Guides
- Go out for walks in nature: Don't jump at the first thing you see, but feel out what calls to you.
- Recognize the wisdom and intelligence of animals: Notice their habits and how they communicate with not only each other but with you as well.
- Meditate or pray: Which ever way you feel most comfortable to call on your spirit animal to show itself to you. Sit in silence for a few moments, ask The universe, God, The Goddess, which ever you believe in, to show you your animal and to meet it with respect.
- Pay attention: Look for signs, reoccurring images and animals that keep popping up along your journey. Take notes of animals that show up in your dreams.
- Be attentive to animals with unusual behavior: Pay attention to animals that show up in your yard, along your walks, hangs out close to your house, makes eye contact with you or runs ahead to show you the way.
- Keep a journal or record: Keeping a journal or record of the animals you meet in nature, dreams or meditations can show you Spirit animals or guides that are trying to make their way into your life.
- Consult someone with experience: Sometimes we can get bombarded with all the information online. Talking to someone who has had experience with these things can help with questions you might have.
- Connect with your animal: Learn about them and their traits. Apply their wisdom to your life and be open to their messages. Honor your animal and respect their lives.
I met my Spirit animal about four years ago when a friend who has experience in finding Spirit animals and guides had me sit through a guided meditation with her. I mentally walked through the woods, looked out into the distance, observed the things I saw and called out to meet my Spirit animal. A smaller than usual baby skunk walked right up to me and crawled into my hands. It was wild that even though this was a spiritual journey I still can remember the feeling of joy as this tiny creature interested me. What's even better I absolutely loves skunks! For the next few days I worked with this animal to strengthen our relationship and we have been together since then. Helping each other grow and become more powerful. I still call upon my friend when I need a dose of reassurance or a helping paw.
Skunks wisdom includes:
- Understanding how to walk your talk
- Understanding energy flows
- Self respect
- Will power
- Self confidence
Check out to help you further your relationship to your Animal!