No Longer the Sidekick!
I've seriously had to step up my game for the new year. Not to mention that my birthday is literally just around the corner. Week!!! I can remember back in about 6th grade, I was sitting in class and calculating how old I would be in 2015. Here it is right before me! This year has so much promise in it, I can feel it. So many things that I put out in to the universe are starting to come back to me. It is encouraging me to get back to me, the things I love and practice self love. It can be very hard to practice self love these days. We have so many different influences out there, between television, news. magazines, advertisements and even our own minds. These things put ideas into our head that we aren't good enough, we aren't special, and many other negative self destructive thoughts. This causes us to retreat back into our old habits, sometimes drugs, sometimes alcohol and sometimes just sitting on our couch with a tub of ice cream trying to drown out the noise that is buzzing in our brain. Believe I totally understand. I have been there. The thing we must remember, we are all important! You are an amazing, beautiful, being. There is no one like yourself.
The past couple of weeks I have been going back through old journals, pictures & even just with meditation. I have seen such an incredible climb that I have made, just to get to this point and I know I have many more mountains and many more volumes to add to my on going book. I am here to heal, help, love and inspire. I hope that if anything that I can give I can give understanding, hope and someone to help others realize they aren't alone. We are amazing beings filled with such wonderful life. I wish nothing but the best for you and those you love. May 2015 be the best year yet to experience. I wanted to put together a list of some of my favorite ways to practice self love. Do one, four or do the all ! I wish you all the luck in the world. ::Smiles and Hugs::
Ways to Practice Self Love
- When you wake up, start your day with a positive thought. Something positive about yourself that will make you smile as you're starting your day.
- Fuel your body with nourishing foods. Giving your body what it the nourishment that it needs, can boost your metabolism, energy and even your mood. I know cool right?
- Move around in your body and get to know it. Take a few moments and put on your favorite song. Get that beautiful body moving. Twist, turn and groove. Learn to love each and every part of it as you dance through to the music.
- Do not believe in everything that your mind tells you. There is an inner critic within us, that is constantly trying to keep us safe and in a comforted state. There is a difference between inner critic and intuition.
- Surround yourself with those that love, care and encourage you. When you have people around you that care, they help remind you of how amazing you are and can cheer you up on a bad day.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. This is one of the biggest ones. You are extremely unique, no one is like you. no amount of plastic surgery can turn you into the ideal image of what you see in media. (or another person)
- End all of your toxic relationships. All of them, even the if it is professional. I know this can be tough but you deserve to be happy and if something is making you unhappy let it go.
- Celebrate all of your achievements, even if its small, give yourself a high five for accomplishing it.
- Step outside your comfort zone....I know...I know! Keep with me on this one. When you step outside your comfort zone you can open doors to so many things you never even knew about yourself. Now I have definitely had some bad experiences from being forced to step outside my comfort zone. I now know I absolutely despise roller coasters. But, the positive choices that I have made to step outside that zone have been more than rewarding.
- Embrace what makes you unique. Write a list of all the things about you that you love about you. The things that you can do that no one else can do, what gifts and talents do you have. Even if you are able to hold your breath for 2 minutes at a time. Write it down! You will be amazed how many things you can do and how amazing you really are.
- Take a few moments out of each day just to calm your mind. Sit in silence and breath. Get centered and grounded. It helps to clear the mind of all the collected junk from the day. Not only will it help with stress but also blood pressure, emotions and sleep patterns.
- Follow your dreams and never give up. This is one of my favorites. No one wrote the rules, in fact there are no rules that say you have to be somewhere at some age. Let go of that which you have been told and go for what you are really passionate about.
- Be patient with yourself. Life is a process, a rhythm. Be gentle with yourself as you start to make these small changes in your life. Things take time, even self love.
- Be kind to others. One of the best ways to realize self love and get happier is to help others. One small act of kindness can boost both peoples moods the entire day.
- Find something to be grateful for each and every day. Writing gratitude lists will help you get into feeling grateful. When you see how much you truly have in your life you start to remember how great life can be.
- Learn to ask for help. Reach out to those that care for you. IT is hard to ask for help, but it also is the biggest step in self love work.
- Forgive! Forgive yourself and forgive others. Write a letter to your younger self expressing your forgiveness for something that needs attention. Bonus points if you actually send it to yourself.
- Give up on the need for approval from others. The only one you need approval from is yourself. Now this also goes with out saying, be sure to communicate with your significant other and friends letting them know what's going on.
- Be realistic and speak your truth. Allow for bad days as well as the good ones. Tell people how you feel and what you feel. Speak your truth!
- Find ways to be creative...if you have a passion for baking, take time to bake something. There are many ways to express creativity.
- Remember the forgiveness one...ok get ready for a big one. Letting go of past wounds. You are not your past. You deserve better than that and watch the weight life from your shoulders as you begin to heal day by day. Breath and let go.
- Find your safe zone. Is it a book store, yoga center, park? Find a place where you feel safest. This will be a place you can go to when you feel down either in person or when you meditate, to give yourself a sense of calm, a boost and a jolt back onto a happier train of thought.
- Learn to listen to your intuition. Write down when you feel things or think things. Get to know the inner you..
- And finally my favorite!!!! Have fun! This is all a process and when you start to have fun amazing things will happen for you
I would love to know of anything you've added to your list. I would also love to know of your stories and discoveries on the journey to self love. As always may the sun shine on your face and the wind be ever at your back. Keep wandering and have an amazing day.